- Aims of course. Methodical recommendations.
- Conception of “multimedia”. Multimedia components: digital images, sound, video.
- Mobile devices and their differences from desktop computers. Conception of mobile operating system (OS). Overview of modern mobile OS architectures. Windows Phone, Android, iOS as a multimedia platform for mobile devices particularities. Inbuilt multimedia capabilities, multimedia processing facilities in mobile operation systems. Dealing with multimedia on mobile devices particularities.
- Software develop tools for mobile systms. Synchronization with mobile device, installing and launching programs. Software emulators of mobile devices, basic principles of work, launching programs via emulator.
- Conception of “digital image”, digital photos and paintings. Formats of storing, comparison. Bitmaps and vector graphics.
- Modern image compression technologies. JPEG format. Applications of digital photography. Steganography in digital images principles, “water-marking” technology.
- Digital images in Internet. Basic demands to digital images. GIF format. GIF-animation
- Processing sound. Sound processing particularities for mobile devices. Objects-players. Sound playback. Sound compression. No loss data compression. Compression and decompression methods. Audio MPEG. Coding stereo sound. Basic file formats: AU, VOC, WAVE, AIFF, MP3, WMA, OGG, RA. Information playback by instruments and soundtracks. Banks of instruments, musical instruments synthesis. MIDI standard. Processing sounds, Furies conversion, spectrum, filtering, format conversion.
- Video processing, processing video data by mobile devices particularities. Video file players. Video playback. Storing information, coding. Programs-codecks. Differences between coding formats: AVI, MPEG4, WMV. DVD system principles. Ways of protecting DVD from illegal copying and distributing. Format conversion.
- Speech processing, online coding, recognition principles.
- HTML5 technology for mobile devices. Images, animation and audio playback using HTML5. HTML5 interactive clips.
- Compact disks, CD organization, read and write CD technology. Audio CD format. “Karaoke” technology, karaoke-disks. Transferring data from audio CD to mobile device. DVD disks, organization of DVD. Write and read DVD technology. DVD-audio and DVD-video formats. Transferring DVD-video to mobile device.
- Remote multimedia transfer, technologies. Transferring multimedia between to mobile phones, MMS. Smartphone, mobile computer, telephone and digital camera inside single body. Unification of different multimedia devices by wireless networks with joint coordination centre. Digital Rights Management technology. Transferring data via WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Multimedia in distributed environments, videoconferences, digital radio and television. Conception of “streamed coding”. Problems of broadcasting in network: bandwidth, delays, data losses, implementing QoS. MPEG4, ACC, packet system H.323 formats. VoIP voice transmitting technology. Conference organization on the base of T.120. Codecks G.711, G.723.1, G.726, G.729, H.261, H.263, H.264, iLBC, MPEG family. Speech coding AMR-NB and AMR-WB in 3G networks (3GPP). RTP и RTSP multimedia transfer protocols. Multimedia transmission over IPv6 support.
- Discipline study output. Methodical recommendations about practical usage of findings.
- Architecture of Windows Phone, Android, iOS operation systems. Aim — getting acquainted with mobile device particularities on the example of Windows Phone, Android, iOS. Result — understanding architecture, components and components interaction in mobile device.
- Multimedia facilities in Windows Phone, Android, iOS. Aim — getting acquainted with software emulator of mobile device on the Windows Phone, Android, iOS example, demonstration of mobile OS capabilities of processing different types of multimedia data, including images, audio and video information. Result — getting acquainted with particularities of multimedia data processing on mobile devices.
- Storing digital data. Aim — detailed inspection of JPEG compression format, comparing with WMF and BMP formats. Result — obtaining detailed knowledge about JPEG format, getting experience in understanding image format and different formats comparing.
- Graphical image coding. Aim — writing program, making conversion, saving and decoding of different digital image formats. Developing application making conversion of different digital images formats. Developing application that performs copyright information in digital image. Result — acquiring skills in programming graphical files converters for mobile devices, getting acquaint with capacity and speed estimation principles (for algorythms realized for mobile devices). Placing copyright stamp on images
- Audio conversion. Aim — getting acquainted with audio files formats, writing codec for Windows Phone, Android, iOS. Result — acquiring skills in programming audio converters for mobile devices, picking up knowledge about mobile devices audio playback principles.
- Speech coding. Aim — writing program that will perform compressing and saving of speech information coming from Windows Phone, Android, iOS microphone. Result — acquiring knowledge and skills bounded with audio recording and voice memories creation.
- Video playback. Aim — getting acquainted with basic modern video files formats. Students develop program performing video playback on Windows Phone, Android, iOS. Result — acquiring view of video files playback facilities, acquiring skills in programming different video formats decoding facilities.
- HTML5. Aim — getting acquainted with HTML5 on mobile devices. Developing HTML5-application, containing audio and video data and running their handlers. Result — acquiring view of basic HTML5 principles on Windows Phone, Android, iOS, Acquiring skills in developing HTML5 applications that manage multimedia files.
- Transmitting multimedia information. Aim — getting acquainted with Bluetooth technology. Developing application that performs connection and transmitting audio file to mobile device. Result — acquiring view of principles and features of multimedia transmission from host-computer to mobile device.
- Streamed coding. Aim — getting acquainted with stream audio coding formats. Developing application that performs coding and transmitting of voice messages. Result — acquiring sills in streamed coding of audio data.
- Digital broadcasting. Aim — developing application that performs reception and saving audio and video information from Internet for deferred playback. Result — acquiring sills in interaction with Internet radio and television sources.
Following software should be installed on computers:
- MS Windows Vista/7/8/8.1;
- MS Office 2010/2013 (включая PowerPoint и Visio);
- MS Visual Studio версии 2010/2013;
- Windows Phone SDK;
- Android SDK;
- iOS SDK;
- JetBrains Intellij IDEA;
- JetBrains AppCode;
- Эмуляторы мобильных устройств на базе ОС Windows Mobile, Android, iOS.
There is a possibility that some other software would occur to be essential during the course. For carrying laboratory course Bluetooth adapter is needed (board or USB device). Mobile device running Windows Phone, Android, iOS with (CompactFlash) card slots and Bluetooth may replace the emulator.
Following topics are offered to students for individual learning. Detailed task is defined after individual colloquy.
- Organization and capabilities of multimedia data input devices: touch screen and microphone. Aim — getting acquainted with positioning on screen, getting data from microphone, programming multimedia devices.
- Editing graphics on mobile device. Aim — developing graphical redactor (primitive geometrical shapes and setting color), getting acquainted with positioning via touch screen, saving and restoring graphical files.
- Organization of mobile multimedia storage on the base of flash-cards. Aim — getting acquainted with flash memory organization, connection and recognition of flash-memory on mobile devices, access to flash memory.
- Coding video. Aim — developing software codec of chosen format.
- Performing media presentation in network. Aim — creating presentation, establishing connection with MS Office components. Developing interactive slideshow and performing presentation on a network conference.
- Exploring H.323 system. Aim — detailed inspection of streamed multimedia digital distribution principles. Developing software complex that will perform digital radio and TV broadcasting.
- Drawing chart for JPEG file read format algorithm.
- Calculating and drawing chart for results of placing “watermark” in image influence estimation.
The task is concretized in accordance to current interests of LG-SoftLabs or is offered to be chosen by student:
- Audio files converter.
- Video files converter.
- Audio player for mobile device.
- Video player for mobile device.
- Speech command processor prototype for mobile device.
- Digital videoconference.
- The task is concretized in accordance to chosen course work and current section of lection course. This task is performed by student as an additional investigation after discussing it with lecturer.
- The task is concretized in accordance to current section of lection course. Lecturer tests students by asking questions grounded on lection course material.
- The test is performed to check students’ advance during the course. The test is based on course material and may be divided in several parts.